On July 1, 2015 Canada turns 148. In honour of that, we’ve compiled a list of 48 ludicrous Canadian laws that are currently in place. Happy Birthday Canada!
1. It’s illegal to pull over on the 400-series highways (except for emergencies).
2. It’s illegal to pay for a purchase over $5 in nickels. It is illegal to pay for a purchase over $25 in loonies.
3. It’s illegal to possess for the purpose of publication, distribution, or circulation a crime comic.
4. It’s illegal to pretend to practice witchcraft.
5. It’s illegal to watch or participate in immoral theatrical performances.
6. It’s illegal to challenge someone or accept an invitation to duel.
7. It’s illegal to tow a person from any kind of watercraft beginning one hour after sunset.
8. 30% of a radio station’s content must be “Canadian Content” meaning the artist is Canadian.
9. It’s illegal to remove a bandage in public.
10. It’s illegal to offend a place with a bad smell.
11. It’s illegal to use a false name on a telegram.
12. In Thompson, it’s illegal to live inside a streetcar.
New Brunswick Laws
13. In Fredericton, it’s illegal to wear a snake or carry a pet lizard on your shoulder in public (unless confined in a container).
14. In St. Johns, it’s illegal to keep cows in your house.
15. It’s illegal to text, feed babies, read, watch movies, and groom your beard or hair while driving.
16. It’s illegal to paint a wooden ladder.
17. It’s illegal to set fire to the wooden leg of a wooden legged man.
18. In St. Paul, it’s illegal for anyone 15 years or younger to loiter in a public place without the supervision of a parent/guardian between 12:01 am and 6 am.
19. In Calgary, if released from prison, it is required that you are given a handgun with bullets and a horse, so you can ride out of town.
20. In Calgary, it’s illegal to buy and sell non-prescription contacts at costume stores.
21. It’s illegal to impersonate a foreigner.
22. In Montreal, it’s illegal to work on your car in the street.
23. In Montreal, it’s illegal to turn right on a red light.
24. In Montreal, it’s illegal to swear in French.
25. In Fort Qu’Appelle, it’s illegal for teens to walk downtown with his/her shoes untied.
26. In Beaconsfield, it’s illegal to have more than two colours of paint on your house.
British Columbia Laws
27. It’s illegal to leave your car unlocked in a public place. They must be locked and windows must be down to less than the width of a hand to prevent theft.
28. It’s illegal to exercise in a manner that frightens a horse – without permission.
29. It’s illegal to kill a Sasquatch.
30. It’s illegal to drive a fork lift, street sweeper, or any other slow moving vehicle faster than 40km/h.
31. It’s illegal to drive your sleigh on the highway without at least two bells attached to the harness of your horse.
32. In Bancroft, it’s illegal to skinny dip.
33. In Petrolia, it’s illegal to yell, shout, hoot, whistle, or sing.
34. In Toronto, it’s illegal to swim in the waters unless the area is designated (authorized with posted signs or written authorization of the authority).
35. In Toronto, it’s illegal to drag a dead horse down Yonge Street on a Sunday.
36. In Toronto, it’s illegal to release more than 10 helium balloons once within 24 hours.
37. In Etobicoke, it’s illegal to have more than 3.5 inches of water in a bathtub.
38. In Sudbury, it’s illegal to mount anything that makes noise (other than a bell or horn) to your bike.
39. In Kantana, purple garage doors are illegal.
40. In Ottawa, it’s illegal to remove your feet from your petals while bicycling.
41. In Ottawa, it’s illegal to eat ice cream on Bank Street on Sundays.
42. In London, it’s illegal to have grass on your front lawn taller than 8 inches.
43. In Uxbridge, it’s illegal to have an Internet connection faster than 56K.
44. In Windsor, it’s illegal to play flute, recorder, or mouth organ in a public park without a permit.
Nova Scotia Laws
45. It’s illegal to sell artificially coloured chicks.
46. In Halifax, it’s illegal for taxi and limousine drivers to wear t-shirts, sweats, jeans, cutoffs, or bathing suits.
Prince Edward Island Laws
47. In Souris, it’s illegal to build a snowman taller than 30 inches if you live on a corner lot.
48. In Charlottetown, it’s illegal to ring any doorbell or knock at any door, building, or fence, to disrupt, disturb, or annoy any person in his dwelling, place of business, or meeting place.
Natalie brings a passion to the business that ensures the entire LawyerLocate.ca team strives to improve the service for both lawyers and the general public. To that end, she is committed to ongoing communication with our members and welcomes and relies on clients’ input to continually evolve the service to make it better for all.
Latest posts by Natalie Waddell (see all)
- LawyerLocate.ca’s #Clawbies2016 Canadian Law Blog Nominations – December 17, 2016
- Canada’s #1 Legal Referral Service is Coming to the UK! – January 29, 2016
- Facebook Glitch Displays How Popular Your Posts Are – October 16, 2015