Christmas Lawsuits for Canadian Lawyers
‘Tis the season for happiness, laughter, family gatherings, stress, disputes, and unfortunately, lawsuits. The added pressure and extreme costs associated with Christmas and New Years results in a flood of lawsuits and cases for Canadian lawyers.
Merry Christmas Lawyers
Let’s take a look at scenarios in a few areas of law that may lead to cases for Canadian lawyers this Christmas.
Employers hire over Christmas in mass numbers to accommodate the busy holiday shoppers. Sometimes this leads to improperly trained workers and, ultimately, issues involving WSIB and occupational health and safety claims.
Employers occasionally hire immigrants if necessary which may lead to visitor visa complications. It’s important that employers provide proper compensation for holiday hours.
The holidays often bring impairment that might lead to potential criminal offenses such as drug offenses, highway traffic offences, impaired driving, parole/probation violations, restraining order applications and violations, and abuse.
Environmental issues such as salting and/or sanding roads and plowing sidewalks and driveways, private and public, are plausible disputes in the winter.
Other potential claims include property damage, motor vehicle accidents, disability law, product liability, landlord and tenant and personal injury.
Family stress and tension is high over the holidays and frequently leads to legal troubles such as bankruptcy, child and/or spousal support issues, child custody and/or access complications, and separation and divorce.
Foreigners commonly travel to Canada to visit family over the holidays or file to permanently reside in Canada. This can bring many immigration cases such as citizenship complications, permanent resident applications, and visitor and work visas.
Luckily for most Canadians, this winter seems to be milder than last (knock on wood). This may eliminate a few potential weather related lawsuits however; there are many other legal issues that are bound to occur.
How to Stay Jolly & Lawsuit-free this Christmas
Try not to let the holiday stress cloud your jolliness. Be humbled by what you have in life and focus your energy on being happy, healthy, and helping others. After all, that’s what Christmas is all about, right?
Think of someone who might be struggling this Christmas and go out of your way to help them. Here are a few things you can do this holiday season to stay jolly:
- Help an elder with their Christmas shopping.
- Help a disabled person cross the icy street.
- Shovel your neighbour’s driveway if you notice they haven’t got around to it.
- Donate old toys and warm clothing to a local charity or family in need.
- Invite an acquaintance into your home for the holidays.
- Salt the sidewalks in your neighbourhood.
- Carry jumper cables and an emergency kit in your vehicle in case of emergency or seeing someone else in need of help.
- Remind your friend to call a cab if they’ve had too many eggnog martinis.
- Take extra time to travel to shopping malls or family gatherings when the weather is poor.
If you do find you’re in need of a lawyer this holiday season, let LawyerLocate.ca do the work for you.
Natalie brings a passion to the business that ensures the entire LawyerLocate.ca team strives to improve the service for both lawyers and the general public. To that end, she is committed to ongoing communication with our members and welcomes and relies on clients’ input to continually evolve the service to make it better for all.
Latest posts by Natalie Waddell (see all)
- LawyerLocate.ca’s #Clawbies2016 Canadian Law Blog Nominations – December 17, 2016
- Canada’s #1 Legal Referral Service is Coming to the UK! – January 29, 2016
- Facebook Glitch Displays How Popular Your Posts Are – October 16, 2015