Discover Canadian lawyers. This is what we are about. Helping people find lawyers. And helping lawyers find clients.
And apparently this has angered many of you.
For those who don’t know my background, I started LawyerLocate.ca in a response to my personal frustrations in finding myself a lawyer during the mid-nineties. I was also astounded to find there was very little Canadian legal information on the internet at the time. Based on this experience as a layperson, I made a personal commitment to do what I could to improve the publics’ access to legal information. And for the first 4 years the corporation existed, and because of my passion to realize this goal, I took a salary of less than $10k per year to move towards accomplishing this.
Fast forward another 5 years – to today. This is still my fundamental personal mission. I created this aggregator as a way to facilitate this mission, and as a way to give back to the legal industry. You all write such fantastic, leading edge, and topical legal information, and I truly felt I was providing an additional venue for your information to be heard and easily shared amongst yourselves and with the public.
At this point I would like to personally apologize to anyone and everyone who was offended by my actions. This was not, at all, my intention.
I must say though, that I am extremely hurt when I am accused of “scrapping” your content for the purposes of financial gain.
- Full acknowledgement was given to all feeds and items that were included in the aggregator.
- All articles linked back to the originating source. This was done using a dofollow linking structure, ensuring maximum benefit to the blogs, with respect to the search engine rankings.
- The feed item bodies were limited in length from between zero to 500 characters. This was done to ensure the visitor would have to click through to the original source to read the entire post.
- This site was not developed with our financial benefits in mind, but rather to increase the awareness of and access to your legal information. It was offered up as my “good-will” to the very community that supports my company and to the very industry that we support through our on-going sponsorships to the CBA, the OBA-YLD, and others relevant organizations. We had absolutely no intention of ever running ads on this site, nor to turn it into a paid blog listing service.
As a result of some very strong backlash from several members of your community, the aggregator site has now been taken off-line. It will remain off-line until we have a chance to communicate in detail with the community and to get a better understanding of the issues.
I am personally very disappointed with this decision to take it off-line, and although my intentions were honest in nature, I have clearly misjudged the acceptance of it by your community.
With all this said, I would like to reiterate my sincere apologies to those who I have angered with my actions.
Natalie brings a passion to the business that ensures the entire LawyerLocate.ca team strives to improve the service for both lawyers and the general public. To that end, she is committed to ongoing communication with our members and welcomes and relies on clients’ input to continually evolve the service to make it better for all.
Latest posts by Natalie Waddell (see all)
- LawyerLocate.ca’s #Clawbies2016 Canadian Law Blog Nominations – December 17, 2016
- Canada’s #1 Legal Referral Service is Coming to the UK! – January 29, 2016
- Facebook Glitch Displays How Popular Your Posts Are – October 16, 2015