We’re proud to announce LawyerLocate.ca member, Lior Samfiru of Samfiru Tumarkin LLP, recently launched a brand new smartphone app to assist Ontario residents in calculating how much severance they are entitled to, should they be terminated from their place of employment.
What is Severance?
An employee that is let go from their place of employment is entitled to compensation. This is referred to as severance, termination pay or pay in lieu of notice. There are a number of factors that determine severance amount including the person’s age, the length of employment, the type of job and whether the person signed a contract of employment. The only way an employer can completely avoid paying the employee severance is if it has “cause” to terminate the employment as a result of the employee’s willful misconduct, and this is extremely hard for the employer to prove. Many people wrongly assume that they are entitled to one weeks’ pay for every year of service. Each case is different.
Available for the iPhone, the Severance Calculator offers a convenient, simple and free way to assess severance entitlements. Mobile devices have started to change the way people acquire and access legal services. As most of us know, visiting a lawyer to assess a person’s severance entitlements can cost hundreds of dollars. The process frustrates many terminated employees, and prevents them from getting access to the information they need. The Severance Calculator offers a good starting point to get started with their severance claim.
“Many individuals, when they are let go from their job receive inadequate severance. Many do not realize this and end up accepting far less than they are owed.” says Mr. Samfiru. “The Severance Calculator allows individuals to quickly and accurately assess their own severance offer and determine whether it is appropriate.”
How to Use the Severance Calculator
1. Download the Severance Calculator from iTunes.
2. Open the App and answer a variety of questions including:
- Are you an employee or employer?
- Do you belong to a union?
- How long have you been employed?
- How old are you?
- What was your job type?
3. Accept the disclaimer regarding that you understand the results provided by the app do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied on as such.
4. Receive your severance calculation.
For more information on the Severance Calculator, feel free to contact Mr. Samfiru at 1 (844) 661-9065.
Natalie brings a passion to the business that ensures the entire LawyerLocate.ca team strives to improve the service for both lawyers and the general public. To that end, she is committed to ongoing communication with our members and welcomes and relies on clients’ input to continually evolve the service to make it better for all.
Latest posts by Natalie Waddell (see all)
- LawyerLocate.ca’s #Clawbies2016 Canadian Law Blog Nominations – December 17, 2016
- Canada’s #1 Legal Referral Service is Coming to the UK! – January 29, 2016
- Facebook Glitch Displays How Popular Your Posts Are – October 16, 2015